Monday, October 22, 2012

Top 5 Sundays #25 - Books I Would Love to Get Signed by the Author!

This week's Top 5 theme is books I would love to get signed by the author. I think it goes without saying that I wouldn't turn down an author's offer to sign one of their books - what sort of crazy person would? However, I also think it goes without saying (but I'm going to say it anyway) that there are some books that, for one reason or another, have come to mean something more to you than the words on their pages. These are the books that have gotten themselves tangled up in your emotions, in your memories, in your affections. These are the books that you turn to for comfort not only because of their stories and familiarity, but because they've come to be associated with so much more. Having the author sign these books...well, it's almost like a validation, like a recognition of all that book has come to mean to you. With the creator's name scrawled within, it's like the book's personal importance to you has been given a stamp of approval.

And what's not to love about that?

So, without further ado, I present this week's (belated) Top 5 Books I Would Love to Get Signed by the Author! Enjoy.

#5 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Okay, be honest, what person growing up with Harry Potter wouldn't sell their little brother whole for J.K. Rowling's name scrawled by the lady herself inside their copy of any one of the Harry Potter books? The last one, the first one, the fifth one - I wouldn't care which, just so long as whichever one it was got to come home with me at the end of the day. Hell, I might even toss in my sister just for the heck of it.

#4 - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
What can I say? My favourite contemporary authors might all be tied to the vamps, weres, witches, demons and magic filling their stories but when it comes to the classics, it's Pride and Prejudice all the way. I blame Mr. Darcy - man knows how to bounce back from a really botched proposal like nobody else. Unfortunately, considering that there's a finite number of signed copies in existence (at least until the zombie apocalypse) getting one of these puppies really would require I resort to human trafficking.

#3 - Witches of Eileanan by Kate Forsyth
For my thirteenth birthday, one of my friends gave me a gift card for Chapters. I remember going with my grandfather to pick out the book and being worried that I was taking to long and boring my poor grandpa. I ended up taking home Witches of Eileanan - mostly because of the awesome cover (it has a dragon - what's not cool about that?) - and my library was begun. Getting this book signed would be just another way of highlighting the significance it holds for me.

#2 - The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
Now, truth be told, I started reading the Vampire Chronicles because of the film adaptation of Queen of the Damned and, as is usually the case, quickly discovered the books to be better. The Vampire Lestat, though the second book in the series, holds particular importance being as its the first book where Lestat narrates. Having Anne Rice sign any one of her books would be amazing - like receiving a personal letter from Johnny Depp amazing - but having her sign the copy I actually read - the copy I lost myself in over and over again - that would just be phenomenal.

#1 - The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop
I adore this series. If this series was a person, I would marry it. I own a lot of books - hundreds, no question - but of them all the books in this series are hands down the ones most read. And reread. Whatever mood I'm feeling, I can find a passage, a scene, a chapter - or ten - in these books to suit. I own - and have read - everything that Anne Bishop has ever written but these series - and specifically these three books - they're my literary equivalent to comfort food. Getting them signed...that would just floor me.

And there you have it! Until next week, boils and ghouls, I bid you adieu!

No comments: